Changing Custody Agreement After Divorce

If you want to change your divorce agreement and you and your ex disagree on the change and can`t resolve your differences outside of court, it`s time to hire a divorce lawyer (if you haven`t already). Your lawyer, who works with the lawyer who represents your ex, can resolve your differences, but if not, he or she will file a petition in court and a hearing will take place. At the hearing, your lawyer will present the court with evidence that justifies the need for the change you want, and your ex`s lawyer will argue against the change. The judge won`t fix a change just because you don`t like the terms of your divorce. If you and your ex-spouse decide to change your custody and access agreement, be sure to set out the terms of your new agreement in writing and receive a new court decision that reflects all the changes. Otherwise, despite what you and your spouse agree, the new provisions of your agreement are not legally enforceable, since, from the Point of View of the Tribunal, your original judicial agreement is still in force. Also get the help of a lawyer to make sure the new agreement is enforceable and properly worded. Finally, make sure that you and your ex get a copy. To prepare for your mediation and trial, consider the changes that have occurred since your last custody and access order and what type of new education plan would be most appropriate for your children. In this regard, it may be useful to look at these forms, which contain a lot of information about the problems that can arise in custody cases: the courts recognize that the circumstances of parents change over time, which is why custody decisions are not carved in stone. However, if you wish to apply for a change in custody based on a parent`s changing circumstances, you must demonstrate that the change is significant and significantly affects the child`s life and well-being. What works for a baby may not work for a toddler or high school student. A child may need different environments to thrive at different stages of their lives, making one home more appropriate than another.

If you can prove to the court that the child`s needs have changed, you may have reasons to change custody. You can find information about the largest U.S. states in our guard guides in California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas. At LaFevor & Slaughter, our family law lawyers in Knoxville understand the difficult nature of custody agreements and the emotional implications for all parties involved. We can help you protect your child`s well-being through our dedicated and compassionate representation. To arrange a free consultation on your childcare situation, call us today at 865-637-6258 or fill out our contact form. To help you reach an agreement, you can use a mediator, education coordinator, religious counselor, etc. You can even define in your educational plan the method of dispute resolution that you use to resolve problems.

These are just a few of the factors that are taken into account in determining the best interests of the child. In order for the court to amend a custody agreement, it is usually necessary for one or both parents to prove a substantial change in circumstances that affect the best interests of the child. If there is a custody agreement, that agreement is legally binding and both parents must share the child in accordance with the terms of this agreement. If you decide to change the custody of the children, you cannot make a unilateral decision. In other words, if both parents cannot agree on a change, you will have to go to court and convince the court to change custody of the children. If you wish to amend the current custody contract, you must prepare and file an amendment form. Contact the court clerk`s office in the county where the initial custody order was issued to request the corresponding documents….